Alternative Winter Break: New Orleans

Alternative Winter Break: New Orleans

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Advisor Perspectives

As an AmeriCorps Member, I spend the majority of my time in service with various non-profits and causes, either as an individual or as a member of a team. This in turn leads to a lot of reflection. Participating in an Alternative Break, in a lot of ways, is not very different from a typical day in the life of an AmeriCorps Member. Lots of service, lots of questions, lots of discussion, and lots of learning. However, usually these things are experienced and absorbed through the perspective of a participant. The opportunity that Alternative Winter Break offers me is a chance to experience these things an an Advisor, and more importantly, an observer.

I've known since I accepted my position at Oglethorpe University in 2013 that it is my duty as a staff member of the CCE to do everything I can to provide transformative service experiences for our students. It is my job to challenge them and to offer new perspectives and to provide a welcoming environment for critical discussion and questions. Alternative Break really allows me to watch these transformations in action.

From the first reflection, where students were expressing concerns and even confusion regarding service, what service means, and whether or not their service made a difference despite the level of their own personal fulfillment, I knew that this trip would be special. These questions and concerns are real and worth asking, and they show a true desire to know and understand what it means to really help a community become healthy and self-sustaining. If all of the discussions we had during AWB had revolved around these subjects, I would have been happy, even proud.

But in just a few short days, these AMAZING students have already shifted from asking questions about whether a small service project fulfills their own personal expectations and needs to talking about how to take what they've learned and become ACTIVE citizens in their own communities. Basically, we've had students come from "how does service affect me" to "how can I affect change."

Most importantly, I really had nothing to do with this change. Like I said. I'm just an observer. Each project, each plan, each discussion has been entirely student lead. But I have had the gratifying privilege to watch the power of service immersion work in others, and I am astounded.

-Rebekah Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment