Alternative Winter Break: New Orleans

Alternative Winter Break: New Orleans

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Lower Ninth

Being an international student you see the U.S. as perfect country but in some aspects it is not, the media never show the problems that communities are going through.Coming to New Orleans for the first time I didn't expect it to see certain areas , especially the ninth ward ,in the state that they were in nearly 10yrs after Katrina.

Yes, there problems here but the way the community has come together is something special. Today we worked in the community garden. Gardening is something I don't mind doing but I avoid it. Today was better than I ever expected, it was a lot of work but having great company made the experience fun. And knowing that all the work that was done made the community look better and all the product from the garden goes back to the community. This is something I believe all communities should show and I would like to take this back home and show them that even first world countries have their problems but when the community gets together a lot can be achieved.

- M.N

No comments:

Post a Comment