Alternative Winter Break: New Orleans

Alternative Winter Break: New Orleans

Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Other Side of AWB

Each day we set out as a group to take on major social issues in New Orleans. These issues included homelessness, hunger, education and poverty. I enjoyed directly and indirectly serving the New Orleans community on each project we attended, but my favorite part of each day was the reflection circle we attended each night to speak about what feelings,thoughts,emotions, successes and failures occurred each day.

I found that during the day each student and advisor was cheerful and hardworking. We were able to bond during each project by putting our heads down and working hard to reach a common goal. At first, everyone seemed super human to me, as if it came naturally for everyone to be so selfless and carefree in their service. So I was more than surprised to find everyone had the same questions and concerns about service as me each night during reflection. "Am I doing enough?" "How do I actually make a difference?" "Why isn't there a sustainable solution for poverty?" 

Overall, we all had endless questions as to WHY the world was the way it was, without a HOW to permanently fix the problems we addressed. Reflections allowed us to move past why and find how by examining ourselves. I realized that while I have volunteered for years, I have never taken the time to voice my global concerns about service and the nonprofit world out loud. 

AWB gave me a platform  I could use to voice my opinions. Even greater, AWB provided me with a small community to build my opinions and ease my concerns. I'm am extremely grateful that each member was openly honest and 100% willing to break down any barriers and remove any preconceived notions we had about each other and New Orleans. Therefore, we were able to create a community while aiding in the rebuilding of another.

-K.L.

No comments:

Post a Comment